As much as I wanted the team to ferry in a few other candidates, I like the potential of the Wade Phillips 3-4. I have preferred the attacking style of the system, probably because watching the last five years of the Richard Smith/Frank Bush 4-3 have wiped my memory clean of what an "attacking" defense looks like.
Problem is, Bob McNair will have the same scouting staff advising the same general manager and head coach that never had a defense finish above 13th in total defense. The desperation in Gary Kubiak's voice at his end of year presser likely means that he is ceding some of the personnel stroke to the incoming DC. It is unclear how the power structure works for the Texans, but Phillips will surely command a big seat at the table come free agency and the draft. They likely need a nose tackle, a starter at outside linebacker, one cornerback and safety (preferably one with soft hands unlike Eugene Wilson).
Where does the front office (and likely Phillips) begin?
No comments:
Post a Comment